Thanks to the wonders of modern technology a further message has been received from David Hannah in Nepal (see previous messages posted on Saturday 13 April). It was sent on Tuesday 16 April.
Well, despite the Lucky Monster, Good Luck cards & StChristopher that I brought with me I was unable to make Gokyo Ri. However they've all taken good care of me and I am well.
We rearranged our itinerary to allow more time to acclimatise at about 3800 mtrs and were suppose to set off for Gokyo today, however the altitude has not been great for me, unable to breath at night (scary & exhausting),s wollen tongue, etc. So I've separated from the group & have headed back to Namche Bazaar (where I am now) 3400 mtrs & I will stay here until the others pass through on their way back on Friday. I've spent the day today with a sherpa called Sorren & we had a brilliant trek together from Phortse.
Based on my past record of altitude sickness I know I've made the right decision. However I do feel a bit disappointed & hope people won't want their sponsor money back. My intention was to stay safe! On the up side, those of you who know me well will know that I'd don't mind my own company & having spent the last week or so as a group of 6 I will quite enjoy some time to discover this part of Nepal on my own.
We've all had a brilliant time. The time at Phortse was very emotional and special.